Morale and Motivation at 18 Months
It’s been 18 months since COVID changed our lives, 18 months of living in a surreal world, and 18 months of working from home for most of us. So as a company, how do we keep morale up? How do we keep our employees motivated? Is it possible to still create a fun work environment?
These are questions CC Pace has explored and continues to address on a regular basis. Since March 2020, we have focused on keeping our employees engaged through various online programs, events, and activities. We have discovered that while working remotely can be challenging, it’s important to sustain high levels of collaboration and teamwork. Just because we are remote does not mean that we can’t still have fun together, it just takes some consistency and planning to maintain morale!
To mark this 18th month of Covid, here are 18 ideas to help build up morale and keep your team motivated!
- Virtual Happy Hours – Everyone is always up for a little chit-chat and a cocktail!
- Tools – Providing the right tools needed so your team can get the job done.
- Mentors – Having someone in the organization you can go to for support, questions, or advice helps to preserve a positive attitude.
- Video Meetings – Using apps like Microsoft Teams and Zoom supports that face-to-face connection (smiling more does too 😊).
- Video calls – Different than Video Meetings, one-on-one calls with teammates to maintain and/or create that personal connection and bond.
- Book Clubs, etc. … – Putting together interest groups creates a sense of belonging.
- Wellness Activities – CC Pace recently promoted a walking challenge to motivate employees to team up with a co-worker to get moving and track their miles. #stayhealthy
- Communication – Leadership who genuinely listen and make themselves available are key to achieving open communications.
- Gifts – A company care package or e-gift card lets employees know you are thinking about them.
- Games – Online games can be super fun, we have had success with Whose Fridge is it Anyway?, Guess the Pet?, and Trivia! (Who doesn’t love a little competition!)
- Feedback – Hearing our employee’s thoughts through surveys and discussions gives us the knowledge we need to move forward and create the best environment for our team.
- Kudos – go a long way! We have expanded our Recognition and Rewards program to empower our team with more avenues to acknowledge each other.
- Professional Development – Encouraging your people to keep growing makes them understand they are a valued team member.
- Benefits – Reexamine your benefits to see if there is anything missing so you can offer the best options and comprehensive packages.
- Small Team Lunches at outdoor eateries – While the weather is nice, try to get a small group together for some al fresco dining!
- Setting Goals – Working toward a goal is often a great motivator for employees.
- Knowledge Sharing – One person’s subject matter expertise can go a long way when they share that information with others in the company who can benefit.
- Celebrations – Celebrating various holidays, occasions, work anniversaries, project kick-offs, etc… is a great way to keep employees inspired! There’s always something to celebrate!
Regardless of where your employees are located, we know all aspects of work can’t be fun, but fun itself in the workplace is a great motivator to help get through those tough times!